Andrew Dines/ Desconectado / Residencia Corazón/ Junio









Disconnected

How do we define our sense of place? Our home? How do we connect to the people around us? What draws us to one place over another? Where do we derive a sense of belonging? What makes us feel disconnected, distanced, or isolated in certain environments? My work in La Plata can be seen as an reflection of my relationship with Argentina. I arrived to the city with vague notions of a project exploring the role and experience of “outsiders” in Argentina. Standing in front of the canvas, my work became much more personal and introspective. I have been living and working in Argentina seasonally for several years. I feel myself drawn to the place, yet I still feel as much an outsider as ever. After so much time here, I recognize that I have only begun to scratch the surface of the culture and unravel the mystery of the people and their language. This duality of attraction and belonging is manifested in images of curiosity, exploration, observation, estrangement, relationship, and disconnectedness. These are the themes that I have explored here.

Desconectado
¿Cómo definimos nuestro sentido de lugar? ¿De cuál es nuestro hogar? ¿Cómo nos conectamos con la gente a nuestro alrededor? ¿Qué nos acerca a un lugar más que a otro? ¿De dónde proviene nuestro sentido de pertenencia? ¿Qué nos hace sentir desconectados, distanciados o aislados en ciertos entornos? Mi trabajo en La Plata puede ser visto como una reflexión sobre mi relación con Argentina. Llegué a esta ciudad con nociones vagas de un proyecto que explorara el rol y la experiencia de los “de afuera” en Argentina. Parado frente al lienzo, mi trabajo se volvió mucho más personal e introspectivo. He estado viviendo y trabajando en Argentina en forma temporaria por varios años. Me siento atraído por este lugar, sin embargo, me sigo sintiendo “de afuera”. Después de tanto tiempo aquí, reconozco que solamente he empezado a rascar la superficie de la cultura y a desentrañar el misterio de la gente y la lengua. Esta dualidad de atracción y pertenencia se manifiesta en imágenes de curiosidad, exploración, observación, extrañamiento, relación y desconexión. Estos son los temas que he investigado aquí.

andrewdines.com